
CEBU CITY, Philippines — Unbeaten Filipino boxer Carl Jammes “Wonder Boy” Martin did not hide his disappointment after being given a subpar fight setup instead of the high-profile opportunity he has long been waiting for on the international stage.
In a Facebook post on Tuesday, May 19, Martin expressed frustration over the staging and promotion of his bout last Saturday, May 16, at the Barangay Fort Bonifacio Gymnasium in Taguig City, where he scored a fourth-round knockout victory over Carlo Demecillo of Big Yellow Boxing Gym.
Despite the emphatic win, Martin lamented the conditions surrounding the event, revealing that the fight was held at an open-air basketball court and that he had no proper dressing room, forcing him to wait under a tree outside the venue before the bout.
READ: Martin stops Demecillo in 4th round, stays unbeaten
“To the promoter Saturday night, and to Mr. Sean Gibbons, I sincerely appreciate the effort and sacrifices made. However, I cannot pretend that what happened was acceptable. I did not wait seven months for a fight to be staged on a basketball court, without a dressing room and with me left waiting under a tree,” Martin wrote.
The situation came as a surprise to many boxing fans, especially considering Martin’s status as the No. 1 contender in the super bantamweight division and the mandatory challenger for Japanese superstar Naoya Inoue’s World Boxing Organization (WBO) title.
Prior to the fight, many supporters had already questioned Martin’s return to the local scene after previously competing in the United States and Mexico, believing he deserved a bigger fight befitting his standing in the division.
Martin said the criticism intensified after fans witnessed the circumstances surrounding the event.
“I am speaking up because my supporters saw what happened and once again the critics are having a field day at my expense. At this point, I do not know what comes next. But one thing is certain: I am deeply disappointed,” he said.
READ: Carl Jammes Martin seeks quality opponent for tune-up fight
The Ifugao native improved his unblemished record to 28 wins, including 21 knockouts, with the victory over Demecillo. However, Martin admitted that the experience left him hurt, particularly for the sake of his family, team and loyal supporters.
“If this statement hurts feelings, I apologize. But understand that I am also hurt, especially for my team, my family, and the fans who continue to support me despite everything. I have done my part through 28 fights and nearly 10 years as a professional. I believe I have earned the right to pursue the best possible fights and opportunities moving forward, all for my family and the supporters who stood by me through every high and low, never losing faith in me even during the hardest moments,” Martin said.
READ: Manny Pacquiao disputes Mayweather, says rematch a ‘real fight’
He ended his statement by thanking his supporters, team and fellow Ifugaos for their unwavering support throughout his boxing journey.
“To all my supporters, my team, and my beloved province of Ifugao, thank you for continuing to stand with me. Your unwavering support gives me the strength to keep fighting, no matter how difficult the journey becomes.”
Read Next
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.


